Applications to the residency are welcome during our open call periods only.
THE OPEN CALL IS NOW OPEN UNTIL THE 23 APRIL 2020
ZK/U sees itself as a laboratory for inter- and trans-disciplinary activities centered on the phenomenon of “the city”. It promotes international exchange on global issues, in the light of what is happening in one’s own backyard. The work at ZK/U is informed by theoretical and practice-based critiques developed in the disciplines of geography, anthropology, urban planning, architecture and the humanities.
ZK/U welcomes artists, researchers, practitioners, activists that concern themselves with the phenomenon of 'the city'. (All disciplines and professions are welcome). The programme is open to a range of contemporary artistic positions that are conceptual, interventionist and contextual. Artists are expected to have a broad record of projects and exhibitions. Scholars and practitioners should have some years of professional experience.
One can apply individually or as a group. Group applications consisting of artists working together with scholars or practitioners from other disciplines are especially welcome.
There are no limitations concerning age or region of provenance of the applicant.
- ZK/U seeks proactive practitioners with an open mind for divergent positions and for possible collaborations with fellow residents as well as ZK/U’s programme, infrastructure, and diverse audiences.
- ZK/U is interested in proposals that have a certain relevance either to ZK/U as an institution or to Berlin.
The application proposal should be coherent with the Open Call’s conceptual framework and investigation leads.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- a studio-apartment for living and working
- access to communal spaces (kitchen, terrace, library)
- a special residency program of weekly dinners, monthly studio visits and bi-monthly open studio events (OPENHAUS)
- the possibility to take part or be part of ZK/U’s public events
- support to locate events, resources, and urban discourses relevant to the fellows’ research interests
- support to create self-initiated public events or formats
- promotion of the fellows’ work online and locally
RESIDENCY FEE & DURATION
For individual fellows, depending on the studio-apartment and length of stay, the residence fees are between €550 and €850 a month. The residency period varies from 3 to 8 months, and can take place within the next two years after the applicant receives a confirmation. After being selected, ZK/U will support the invited residential fellow in their efforts to secure funding through external grants by providing the fellow with an official invitation and a list of potential funders.